Saturday 16 May 2009

DETERMINATION

I decided Nathaniel, who is 5, should learn to ride his bike without stabilisers yesterday. He agreed, amazing, so we set to work.

He went into the garage, found his dads tool kit and located the correct spanner to remove them, and even had a go at doing it himself.So far I was well impressed.

We took one off - disaster! He rode round in circles.

We took the other one off, and he climbed aboard. I held tight to the back of the seat with one hand and off we went, up and down the paving at the side of the house.

Whilst concentrating so hard on riding he was unable to use the brakes at the same time (he is in training to be a man after all!) and so the fence and the gate were crashed into each time we turned around. But it didn't deter him.

He insisted I let go of the seat and promptly put his feet down saying he couldn't do it. He had a temper tantrum, picked up the bike and threw it down saying he'd never be able to do it. Luckily, the bike is made of sturdy stuff, and so is he because two mintues later he'd climbed back on and we went backwards and forwards another dozen times.

Each time I held on to the seat with less of a grip until eventually just one finger stopped him doing it on his own. His dad came back from doing the shopping (very domesticated) just in time to see Nat ride without me or stabilisers.

I ran for the camera. He was off, back and forth with the biggest grin on his face. What a fantastic sight and what a fantastic achievement in his little life.

I asked him how he felt and he said " I feel very happy mummy". Bless him, he's gorgeous.

I've added that to be one of my happy thoughts, along with him laughing, which is one of the best things ever, and the way we say we goodnight : " Love you little", I say, "Hate you big" ,he replies.

Children are so prescious, really ,and they grow up so quickly. This blog will serve as great memories for me. Rx

No comments:

Post a Comment